Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » solmil

May-26-10 00:18:00
ML is far too complex for practical usage

Here is a suggestion of what may be a better implementation:

Currently, when entering an object (eg model class), all ML does is offer the user a property list.  This is a very complex, hard to use, and fault prone system.

With ML's current implementation I would estimate a 10 to 1 in-efficiency between entering ML (UML) code and generating Modelica code, and just entering Modelica code through MDT.

It is suggested:

The correct ML profile should be attached automatically to a project when it is created, as part of the project creation process.

UML object attributes should be split into two classes, required, optional

When a UML object (eg. model class) is placed on a diagram, the system should automatically prompt for the required parameters, and allow the user as well, to enter optional parameters if necessary.

In the same way that MDT prompts with attribute completion, ML should do so likewise, offering input attribute lists and alternative entries.

Pop up help would be great if the user hovers over a potential entry.

ML should learn from the user's usage, such that when the next object (eg model class) is entered, ML remembers which attributes the user entered, and offers this list first (and of course allows optional additional parameter entry).  ie. ML is an expert or AI system

This learning system is always based on the last entry of a particular UML object.

Of course entry/modification of attributes can still be accessed if necessary through the properties list.

This improvement should make ML much much more usable.

Love and peace,

Sol.

May-19-10 15:28:25
Analysis of usefulness and complexity

While being a novice in Modelica, UML, MDT OMNotebook, and ML, I have spent a few days researching these tools in order to decide how to develop my Economic Model - Economy of Love.

I offer the following comments and ask for responses.

OMNotebook seems the simplest development environment

MDT seems an excellent structured, supportive, development environment

ML is hugely complex and adds a vast amount of complexity on top of knowledge of the Modelica language in order to achieve a visual UML based model structure (via Papyrus interaction), which is updateable and able to generate Modelica code (via Accelero interaction).

This vast complexity of ML, seems to me to be a great waste of developer time and effort, for a very small return.  There is a huge investment in learning the complexities of entering the UML objects and the myriad of parameters, such that they will generate Modelica code correctly.

At this stage I will make the development decision to use MDT (and not ML) and see how I go.

I'd be very interested to hear other developer's comments about their experience with these various toolsets.

Love and peace,

Solihin Millin

May-19-10 07:12:17
This would be extremely useful for beginners

Thanks guys for all the help you're giving me with Eclipse and ModelicaML.  Much appreciated.

I'm actually 'getting there', slowly but surely.

However, I'm still a bit lost about implementation of profiles/primitive/stereotypes?? etc. etc.  I don't yet understand the differences and why after associating a profile with a model one still needs to import more ML data (primitives/stereotypes).

Also, I'm not yet at the position of understanding how one put's in specific detail, for example:

parameter names, values, limits

function code  (Activity diagrams?)

calls to execute functions

If someone can tell me where to learn all of this I'd be grateful.

I'll keep reading and trying, and learning, however, what would be enormously useful, for all us beginners is a tutorial showing ALL the steps to create a simple working model, eg HelloWorld or something similar.

The tutorial would show all the steps from creating the new project to code generation and simulation.

I suppose, in essence, it is Wladimir's ModelicaML: Getting Started, with a few extra steps in the section 2.9 Alternative: Create New ModelicaML Project

Once again, thanks for the support. Much appreciated.

In my case, as an example, starting simple, in the Economic's model I'll have actors - people - who have interactions - eg buy and sell 'energy' - this interaction will be called an energy exchange.  These energy exchanges will need to be stored in the model (array?) and analysed.  The simulation will occur with equations defining the time behaviour of people making energy exchanges of various types.  If I can model this simple model, I'm well on my way to developing a more sophisticated model including money supply, loans, gifting and buying/selling of land, etc.

Love and peace,

Sol

May-17-10 14:53:19
I'm getting closer to getting the right project profile

While waiting for answers from the Forum I have continued my research, and am now getting further results.

As far as I can tell, all the action seems to lie in the Outline view.  By dragging and dropping from the imported ModelicaML profile entries in the Outline view into the (Papyrus) editor window of the project .di2 file, I have been able to activate various ML objects.

So.... success!

Now the next step is to put together a very simple ModelicaML model, validate it and run in under the Modelica perspective (Open Modelica Console).

If this works then I'm well on my way to develop my initial object oriented Modelica EOL (Economy of Love) model.

Apparently, one of the Open Modelica researchers has developed an extension allowing modification and viewing of variables during execution.  I'm looking forward to learning how to achieve this.

Any help from anyone in this Forum, will be most appreciated.

Love and peace,

Sol

May-17-10 06:54:13
I'm getting closer to getting the right project profile

Steps:

1. Create a Papyrus project
2. Click on project folder to activate 'Outline' window
3. Delete 'Standard' profile line
4.In 'Outline' window, import package, import profile as library from repository
5 Select ModelicaML 1.1.1, select ModelicaML - system imports ModelicaML profile items
6. Ctrl S to save.

Now when I attempt to add Modelica items to the original .di2 diagram they are STILL all greyed out!

How do I get them to be active (black), so I can start building my ModelicaML model?

Love and peace,

Solihin Millin
Murwillumbah, Australia

May-16-10 12:21:31
A request for information on accessing test (up to the minute) builds

I'm attempting to use Eclipse with ModelicaML and MDT, which is a really great concept.

I believe I've followed the install instructions, however cannot find out how to set the profile for new ModelicaML projects.  Can anybody help?

It seems OK to import an example model, and then the environment seems set up correctly, however, if you try to create a NEW ModelicaML model (by creating a Papyrus UML Project) the environment is NOT setup correctly.

I found a document
ModelicaML: Getting Started
Issue 1.1
November 2009
Wladimir Schamai
EADS Innovation Works (Hamburg, Germany)
Linkoping University (Linkoping, Sweden)

However, the screen shots are very different from what's available from current downloads screens!

H E L P

A note, is although the install documentation asks for separate installs of Acceleo and Papyrus, both seem to already be included in the Eclipse Modelling project download.

Also, is there a way we (end users) can obtain access to the latest compiled development code, bug fixes?  Again, I'm certainly not an expert on Subversion, et al.

Love and peace,

Solihin Millin

May-11-10 04:10:40
As in MATLAB GUIDE, is there a facility to program an interactive GUI

A great feature of MATLAB is that in an application end user GUI's can be programmed (via GUIDE), allowing amongst other things:

Screen to screen navigation during execution as per a standard graphical application

Realtime time display and modification of simulations, and variables, both input and output

Does this sort of feature exist in Modelica / OpenModelica ?

If so, where can I learn how to use it?

Love and peace,

Solihin Millin

I'm considering using OpenModelica for Economic modeling.

Not considering myself an expert either in Economics or Modeling, I'd find it useful to hear comments from people who may have something to add to this subject.

In particular I wish to model a new economy based on

Truth, Love, Virtue, Peace and Non-violence

The current world economic model is completely flawed, being based on values such as greed, ownership, amassing personal wealth at any cost, control, power... the list goes on.

Land rights have been stolen from the common people.  There obviously is enough land on our planet available for every human being as a birthright as a gift.

Money and currency has been manipulated and stolen from the common people.

We have become enslaved in a smoke and mirrors system of credit ownership by the very few enslaving the majority of mankind and expanding poverty.

We need to design a system that is based on correct values and supports abundance and wealth for all.

I've called it 'The Economy of Love'  that is EOL.

I intend to build and model and simulate this model to prove it will work.

The current world economic model is now in a state of meltdown.

When it all crashes we will be ready with the EOL, and we can then re-build our world economy correctly with the correct model using the correct human values.

Love and peace,

Sol

• Index
  • » Users
  • » solmil
You are here: