Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

GPL license implications w.r.t using external libraries

GPL license implications w.r.t using external libraries

It is my understanding that any code developed using a GPL library must be GPL too. However, anything developed using a GPL tool (e.g., gcc) does not have to be GPL. Hence, to the best of my knowledge, I can develop models and run them in OpenModelica and not have to publish them under GPL.

My question is - if my modelica model calls an external function - does the external library have to be published as GPL? Thanks.

-Prasant

Re: GPL license implications w.r.t using external libraries

If you use a GPL library in your model, your whole model is a work based on that library and needs to be published as GPL (but only if you distribute it to others; GPL says it's fine for internal use).
If you use LGPL libraries (which many of them are), you only have to publish your modifications of the library as GPL.

Thanks for that clarification - however, it does not answer my question exactly. If I create a library which implements external functions for my Modelica model, does that library (that I have created) have to be published as GPL? Thanks in advance.

-Prasant

It all depends on the license used by external code:
For example, if you use annotation(Library = {"myLibrary", "someGPLLib"}) your model needs to be GPL (but not necessarily myLibrary).
If you use annotation(Library = {"myLibrary"}) , your model AND your library needs to be GPL if and only if myLibrary links to GPL code.

So if you write the model and the library yourself, you're good.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: