Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Modelica syntax issue with definition of primary

Modelica syntax issue with definition of primary

Is there anyone who could explain why Modelica syntax allows "(" output_expression_list ")" for primary?

Here is a clip from Modelica 3.3 spec (https://www.modelica.org/documents/ModelicaSpec33.pdf)

Code:

primary :
UNSIGNED_NUMBER
| STRING
| false
| true
| ( name | der | initial) function_call_args
| component_reference
| "(" output_expression_list ")"
| "[" expression_list { ";" expression_list } "]"
| "{" function_arguments "}"
| end

The problem is that output_expression_list allows expressions like (,,,,,,)^(,,,,,). They go unnoticed to compiler which obviously cannot process them. Should it be expression_list instead? Just wondering current/smile

Re: Modelica syntax issue with definition of primary

Hi,

I guess it is for brevity and to allow "(" output_expression_list ")"  = fcall(...);
Maybe it would be better to remove it and have equation include the case with output_expression_list on the left hand side.
You can add a ticket at http://trac.modelica.org with Modelica Specification as a component and point it out.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Modelica specification has a separate definition for that case:

Code:

statement :
( component_reference ( ":=" expression | function_call_args )
| "(" output_expression_list ")" ":=" component_reference function_call_args

Now when thinking of this, replacing output_expression_list with expression_list would allow (1,2,3)^(4,5,6,7,) which would not make much sense either.. Maybe that is just a forgotten legacy line for the function call case? I'll add that ticket and wait for smart people to resolve it current/smile

The rule you give is for statements, not equations.
I was talking about equations where left hand side is a multiple output and right hand side is a function call returning multiple outputs.
(1, 2, 3)^(4,5,6) makes sense if you think about it as tuples, so is actually equivalent to (1^4, 2^5, 3^6).

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

That's only a rule for statements. For equations it is different... And I guess to make the grammar simpler those checks are not done.

And regardless, tuples "( ... )" are only allowed for function call results. A Modelica tool will not let it go unnoticed (except maybe during parsing; but that's a non-issue as most languages allow you to use syntax that is not really allowed later on).

Thanks, it is all starting to make sense now!

This example shows why the output_expression_list is actually useful:

Code:

model Test

function func
  input Real a;
  input Real b;
  output Real c;
  output Real d;
algorithm
  c := a*a;
  d := b+b;
end func;

parameter Real e = 3;
  parameter Real f = 5;
  Real g;
equation
  (,g) = func(e,f);
end Test;

I'll comment this also to the bug report.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: