Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

OpenModelica user guide

OpenModelica user guide

Hello,

I am brand new to OpenModelica, got IT to download and install v1.9.0 beta 2 on my machine (Windows XP) as I don't have admin rights. The first thing I noticed is that there weren't any shortcuts created on my desktop or a program group in the start menu. So I created my own shortcuts on the desktop to OMEdit, OMNotebook, OMPlot and OMVisualize (from C:\OpenModelica1.9.0\bin). I assume it's OK to do that.

When I tried to double-click on OMEdit, I got the following error message:
"Could not find environment variable OPENMODELICAHOME. Please make sure OpenModelica is installed properly"

Because I don't have admin rights, I can't create any system variables, but I created a user variable OPENMODELICAHOME and set it to C:\OpenModelica1.9.0. That seemed to fix the problem. I am also able to open OMNotebook. I haven't tried the other programs.

I can't seem to find any documentation for OpenModelica (at least in that release). Is there a user guide or a getting started guide available? I am aware of DrModelica, which I intend to go through. Are there any other resources?

Thanks in advance,

Arnaud

Re: OpenModelica user guide

There should be some pdf's that come with the windows builds. Try to look in share/doc/omc/. OMEdit knows where to look for its documentation (F1, or Help->User manual).

Hi,

Try install only for me, not for all users and it should work even with a non-admin user.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

sjoelund.se wrote:

There should be some pdf's that come with the windows builds. Try to look in share/doc/omc/. OMEdit knows where to look for its documentation (F1, or Help->User manual).

Thanks, much appreciated.

adrpo wrote:

Hi,

Try install only for me, not for all users and it should work even with a non-admin user.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Thanks. I am not technically allowed to install anything on my machine. IT has to vet and install everything.

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

When you install without admin rights, you won't get any option from installer to choose "install for me or install for all users".
If you are not admin you are always installing for yourself only.

You should get an OpenModelica folder in your start menu.

Can you check if the environment variables are set for you or not? Run set command in cmd and see the results. The result list should have OPENMODELICAHOME and OPENMODELICALIBRARY.

Adeel.

adeas wrote:

Hi Arnaud,

When you install without admin rights, you won't get any option from installer to choose "install for me or install for all users".
If you are not admin you are always installing for yourself only.

You should get an OpenModelica folder in your start menu.

Can you check if the environment variables are set for you or not? Run set command in cmd and see the results. The result list should have OPENMODELICAHOME and OPENMODELICALIBRARY.

Adeel.

Thanks, but the point is I am not allowed to install anything, whether I have admin rights or not, IT has to do it (using their admin log in). The environment variables were definitely not set and there was no OpenModelica folder in my start menu. I created a user variable (can't create system variables) for OPENMODELICAHOME and that now seems to work. What should OPENMODELICALIBRARY be set to? I don't have that one.

Thanks again for your help,

Arnaud

You don't need OPENMODELICALIBRARY since omc is smart enough to know where to look as long as OPENMODELICAHOME is set. Else I believe it's c:/OpenModelica1.9.0/usr/lib/omlibrary.

No, on windows it is c:/OpenModelica1.9.0/lib/omlibrary
You can find documentation in C:\OpenModelica1.9.0\share\doc\omc. A good start is OpenModelicaUsersGuide.pdf

Adeel.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic