Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Error using MultiBody.Joints.Prismatic

Error using MultiBody.Joints.Prismatic

Hello,

I want to model a (Coulomb) friction force on the translation of BodyBox components (from the MultiBody library). I want to do this by attaching the frames of the BodyBox components to Fixed components, via two Prismatic joints (the movement is two dimensional). Consequently I want to attach a SupportFriction component to the flanges of the Prismatic joints.
However, I get the error message that the model is singular. Can anyone explain why?

As an example, please consider the following code for a simple pendulum that incorporates the above mentioned construction and results in the error when simulated in OMEdit 1.7.0 (without the Prismatic joints, Fixed and SupportFriction it runs without problems):

Code:

model pendulum
  inner Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.World world;
  Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Joints.Revolute revolute1(useAxisFlange = false, n = {0,0,1});
  Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Parts.BodyBox element1(r_0(start = {0,0,0}, fixed = true), r = {1,0,0}, width = 0.1);
  Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Parts.Fixed fixed(r = {1,0,0});
  Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Joints.Prismatic prismaticX(useAxisFlange = false, n = {1,0,0}, stateSelect = StateSelect.always, v(fixed = true), s(fixed = true, start = 0));
  Modelica.Mechanics.MultiBody.Joints.Prismatic prismaticY(useAxisFlange = true, n = {0,1,0}, stateSelect = StateSelect.always, v(fixed = true), s(fixed = true, start = 0));
  Modelica.Mechanics.Translational.Components.SupportFriction frictionForce(useSupport = false);
equation
  connect(world.frame_b,  revolute1.frame_a);
  connect(revolute1.frame_b,  element1.frame_a);
  connect(fixed.frame_b,  prismaticX.frame_a);
  connect(prismaticX.frame_b,  prismaticY.frame_a);
  connect(prismaticY.frame_b,  element1.frame_b);
  connect(prismaticY.axis,  frictionForce.flange_a);
  connect(prismaticY.support,  frictionForce.flange_b);
end pendulum;

Kind regards,

Pieter

Re: Error using MultiBody.Joints.Prismatic

OpenModelica says:

Code:

[/home/marsj/dev/trunk/build/lib/omlibrary/Modelica 3.1/Mechanics/MultiBody/Joints.mo:331:7-331:60:writable] Error: Model is structurally singular, error found sorting equations revolute1.R_rel.T[2,3] = revolute1.e[2] * revolute1.e[3] + cos(revolute1.phi) * ((-revolute1.e[2]) * revolute1.e[3]) - (-sin(revolute1.phi)) * revolute1.e[1];

revolute1.R_rel.T[2,2] = revolute1.e[2] * revolute1.e[2] + cos(revolute1.phi) * (1.0 - revolute1.e[2] * revolute1.e[2]);
revolute1.R_rel.T[1,3] = revolute1.e[1] * revolute1.e[3] + cos(revolute1.phi) * ((-revolute1.e[1]) * revolute1.e[3]) - sin(revolute1.phi) * revolute1.e[2];
revolute1.R_rel.T[1,1] = revolute1.e[1] * revolute1.e[1] + cos(revolute1.phi) * (1.0 - revolute1.e[1] * revolute1.e[1]);
0.0 = atan2(-revolute1.R_rel.T[1,3],revolute1.R_rel.T[2,2]);
0.0 = atan2(revolute1.R_rel.T[2,3],revolute1.R_rel.T[1,1]);
for variables revolute1.phi(17), revolute1.R_rel.T[2,3](13), revolute1.R_rel.T[2,2](12), revolute1.R_rel.T[1,3](10), revolute1.R_rel.T[1,1](8),

Dymola 7.4 demo says:

Code:

The model includes the following hints:

All Forces cannot be uniquely calculated.
The reason could be that the mechanism contains
a planar loop or that joints constrain the
same motion. For planar loops, use for one
revolute joint per loop the joint
Joints.RevolutePlanarLoopConstraint instead of
Joints.Revolute.

How it came to that conclusion I have no idea.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: