Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Debian Testing / Bookworm

Debian Testing / Bookworm

Hey,
I'm always using Debian testing (i.e. now Bookworm) and I have the impression that this is a quite common pattern for somewhat experienced Debian Desktop users. Unfortunately there are no OpenModelica packages for testing. Therefore, I have two questions/a feature request:

a) Would it be possible to also provide packages for OpenModelica for Debian testing? :-) From the outside that seems to be not that different from all the current versions of Debian and Ubuntu being supported.

b) As I'm struggeling with compiling OpenModelica from Source (especially OMedit) I wondered whether I'm doing it wrong or whether it is not possible using Debian testing (it is not listed as supported Distribution) Are people around having built OpenModelica successful for Debian testing?
Without going into details here: Using the help at github and following the steps there installing dependencies was fine but autoconf was not able to succeed. Changing the commands slightly I was able to compile omc and OMsimulation but OMedit seemed to not compile (no obvious errors).

Thanks for your feedback and that great simulation tool! 

Re: Debian Testing / Bookworm

This question appears quite often. Debian Testing is not a suitable target for packages since it allows major changes (including libc) for more than 1 more year. Once it gets closer to the soft freeze (2023), building packages makes more sense as they have a chance of working.

Docker works quite well though.

Thanks for the hint with docker. I tried that but ran into problems connecting to the GUI. Is it right that one has to add xauth key to the docker instance?

I tried also again to compile on my other laptop (Debian Bookworm) and got to a (so far) working OpenModelica environment. Build failed at testsuite somewhere but OMedit works fine:

Code:

entering testsuite/difftool
flex omc-diff.l
make[1]: flex: File or directory not found
make[1]: *** [Makefile:11: lex.yy.c] error 127
make: *** [Makefile:47: omc-diff.skip] error 2

Steps to build after cloning and checking out v1.18.0. which worked for now:

Code:

autoconf
autoupdate
autoreconf --install
./configure CXXFLAGS=-std=c++14
make -j1

and then installing Packages

Code:

cd build/bin
./OMShell-terminal
installPackage(Modelica, "4.0.0+maint.om", exactMatch=true)
installPackage(ModelicaReference, "4.0.0+maint.om", exactMatch=true)

Yes, we don't run the testsuite when building our packages. So flex is not listed as a dependency.

On WSL, I can do this since the xserver knows the IP:

Code:

docker run -v /home:/home -it --rm --user 1000 -e DISPLAY=$DISPLAY -e HOME=$HOME -w "$PWD" openmodelica/openmodelica:v1.18.0-gui OMEdit

You can also add --network=host to avoid some xauth problems. It's much easier when everything is local.

Thanks!

With that I think there are two solutions to run it in Debian Testing and I'm good to go!

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: