Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Lookup table bug

Lookup table bug

I believe that I have found a bug in OpenModelica when simulating the CombiTable1D and CombiTable1Ds lookup table models.

The output of the lookup table appears to go to zero for all negative input values, even if a non-zero output value is set in the table:

Code:

model TrivialLookupTable
  Modelica.Blocks.Sources.Sine sine1(amplitude = 1, freqHz = 0.2, phase = 0, offset = 0, startTime = 0);
  Modelica.Blocks.Tables.CombiTable1Ds combitable1ds2(table = [-10,10;0,10;10,10], columns = {2});

equation
    connect(sine1.y,combitable1ds2.u);
end TrivialLookupTable;

I believe that the output from the table should be +10 for all inputs in the range -10 to 10. Instead, the output is +10 for positive input values, but 0 for negative input values.

The same happens with CombiTable1D.

James

Re: Lookup table bug

I think this is fixed in r8845, but I am unsure exactly how the combi-tables should work. I changed the extrapolation method to base the value on first/last two values of the array when the value is out of range.

Thanks, this is an improvement, as the output is not forced to be zero if the input is zero.

There is still a problem, as the table output can only be defined for zero or positive values. With CombiTable1D and CombiTable1Ds it should be possible to define the output for negative and positive input values. For example the following table:

Code:

Modelica.Blocks.Tables.CombiTable1Ds combitable1ds2(columns = {2}, table = [-10,20;0,0;10,10]) ;

should give the following results:
Input,Output
-10, +20
0, 0
+10,+10

With your fix, it gives
-10,-10 (extrapolated from the positive part of the table)
+10,+10

It looks as if the negative part of the table is ignored, and the output is extrapolated for negative inputs.

I think the underlying problem is that the function ModelicaTables_CombiTable1D_init (in \c_runtime\ModelicaExternalC\ModelicaTablesImpl.c) calls omcTableTimeIni to initialise the table, and forces the 'start time' to 0.0, so the negative part of the table is never used.

Ok, I got it

Code:

str := "

model TrivialLookupTable
  Modelica.Blocks.Tables.CombiTable1Ds t(table = [-10,20;0,0;10,10], columns = {2});
equation
  t.u = time;
end TrivialLookupTable;
";
loadString(str);getErrorString();

simulate(TrivialLookupTable,startTime=-15,stopTime=15,method="euler",numberOfIntervals=12);
arr:=-15:2.5:15;
val(t.y[1], arr);getErrorString();

Now gives:

Code:

time: {-15.0,-12.5,-10.0,-7.5,-5.0,-2.5,0.0,2.5,5.0,7.5,10.0,12.5,15.0}

t.y[1]: {30.0,25.0,20.0,15.0,10.0,5.0,0.0,2.5,5.0,7.5,10.0,12.5,15.0}

Which I believe is correct

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: