Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Iterating a model

Iterating a model

Hi.

I have created a simple cantilever beam model which gives me the deflection at a certain point along the beam. I basically have the deflection equation

y = P/(6*E* I)*(-a^3+3*L^2*a-2*L^3)
where y is the deflection (y is a variable of type Real ).

and I input the parameters to it and tell which point I need the deflection. I was wondering if I can iterate this over the entire length of the beam and and store all the deflections in a variable so that when plotting this variable, I can visually get the deflections over the entire length of the beam. Is this possible? What kind of variable should y be in this case?

Thanks in Advance,
Sanjay

Re: Iterating a model

I'm not quite sure whether I understand this right. So this formula is for the bending of a beam? and y is how much it is of the neutral position?
I guess L ist the length of the beam, so it's also the x-variable. Just set x = time then and simulate as long as your beam is in seconds. After that just plot y.

Thanks, SKD. That's a brilliant idea.

But is there any way where I can do this without introducing x = time?  Also in the solution you gave, is there a way I can set the length of the beam as the simulation End time? Giving stopTime = L gives me a warning telling its an 'Unknown experiment annotation'

Regards,
Sanjay

In the OMEdit plot window there are two icons showing a little graph, one x(t) and the other x(y). If you select the last one you can plot one  variables above another variable.
So you don't need to set x = time.

For the second problem. I'm not quite sure, I guess you have to this from "outside" with commands in the OMShell console.

Correct SKD, I can plot x(y) using parametric plot. I think you may not have got my question.

In the beginning I had the deflection,y as a function of x. i.e. y=f(x). In this case, I could get the deflection for only a specific x value. I wanted to iterate this over the length,L of the beam i.e from x = 0 to x = L. For this you suggested to put x = time and to make the simulation end time as the beam length.

What i want is, to get the same result without using the time variable and without needing to override simulation End Time as the beam length. Is this possible?

I'm still not whether I get the point. So you want to plot y over x without any relation of x to the time? I think this won't be possible since Modelica always simulates over a time. And if you want to do this you would have the problem that there is an infinitely large amount of different values for x for one time step. So there has to be some relation of any variable to the time (or constant values). At least this is what I think about that problem.

Yes. You got my question correctly. Thanks for the reply.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic