Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Run-Time acquisition

Run-Time acquisition

Hi,
I'm Francesco. I've never used OpenModelica until 2 weeks ago.
I want to know if I can acquire some data from some external real sensor, solve some equation and give back some input for actuators.
Is it possible with Openmodelica. I can use only free libraries and softwares . Where can I find a tutorial or some examples (also simple) explaining how to do that?
In addition: I'm coding with SimForce now. Do you think I have to use another program?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English

Re: Run-Time acquisition

It's certainly possible.

Reading a sensor would require an external function (probably C). See chapter 9 in Fritzson's book or chapter 12 in the Modelica Language Specification 3.2.

I would suggest that you use sampling to synchronize the input/output calls, as you probably want to take simulations steps more often than you sample the sensor.

Using SimForge should probably be fine, but if you want real-time capabilities you might want to read chapter 6 of the OpenModelica System Documentation - Interactive Simulation Facilities. I suspect that's simpler than making the DAQ functions synchronize the clock, but it can't be used within SimForge yet from what I understand. I might be wrong though current/smile

Ok, thank you very much for fast answering.
I'm going to study and I hope understand all (I'm a mechanical engineer :-)
Bye

Hi,

now I'm able to call a C++ function that acquires run-time some data from an external device but I haven't found anything about syncronization of input/output calls.

I haven't got the Fritzson's book and I can't find thie reference "OpenModelica System Documentation - Interactive Simulation Facilities", may you post me the link?

In addition I don't know how to send back some results from Modelica to an actuator (or to a C file).

Thanks.

OpenModelica System Documentation is OpenModelicaUsersGuide.pdf. It's included in your installation of OpenModelica. If the chapter does not exist in it, you probably don't have a recent enough version of OpenModelica installed (it's a new library).
You can read the latest version of the documentation from http://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModelica/trunk/doc/ (user/pass from http://www.openmodelica.org/index.php/d … rce-code).

Sending data to a device should be done analogous to acquiring data.
For example you create:
data = readData() and writeData() functions or a single function dataToReceive = readWriteData(dataToSend)
The second is probably easier since Modelica doesn't allow function calls without return value in when-equations.

Thank you very  much..Really I haven't found that chapter in my documentation (also if I downloaded Openmodelica yesterday again)..However Interactive Simulation Facilities is the 6th chapter of OpenmodelicaSystem.pdf...No problem ;-)..

dataToReceive = readWriteData(dataToSend) ...great...I'm so stupid..I haven't thougth about it

Bye

Hi,
I'm sorry for the stupid question but:

where and how I've to do start the model with parametre -interactive (pages 72-73 of OpenModelicaUserGuide.pdf).

I've tried in a cmd window (nomefile.exe -interactive). It immediatly generates a    _res.plt file.

I'm sorry but I'm not so skilled in this field and the documentation is so poor yet (or it is too much poor for me :-)

It sounds like your omc is not recent enough. Try http://build.openmodelica.org/omc/build … n-5740.msi or build it from source.

Hi,
this version doesn't work on my computers (I've tried both on Windows 7 and XP )..
It misses MSVCP100.dll..I've downloaded the 2010 version of Visual C++..Now OpenMShell crashes because of MSVCR100.dll (note the "R")...
Do you know how can I fix this problem? Should I build it from source ?
thanks,
Francesco

Building from source is probably safest. I only use Mac and Linux versions of OMC, so I can't really help you with weird bugs there.

This is the .dll hell in Windows.
I'll look into it and add the required .dlls in the .msi file.

You shouldn't install Visual Studio Express, but the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
Even if you install the redistributable package, it might not work.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Ok..let's try..I've never build from sources...Do I have to follow this?   http://www.openmodelica.org/index.php/d … ource-code

Check out the source then read the README for instructions. Or you might be able to use just omc (not OMNotebook/OMShell), if omc.exe was compiled with MinGW.

Hi,
I've installed that one yet and it doesn't work..I'll try building from source.
Thanks
Francesco

Sorry...I mean "I've already installed that version of Visual C++"....:-)

HI,
Sould I follow the OpenModelica-TortoiseSVN+Putty-HOWTO.pdf?..And what are my ida account and my password? where can I get them?
regards

The README is part of the source code.The username and password are in the first paragraph of the article you linked.

Ok...but when I try to checkout the sourse as written in the articol I get this error

Command       Checkout from https://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModelica/trunk, revision HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included
Error                  OPTIONS of 'https://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModelica/trunk': 200 OK (https://openmodelica.org)
Finished!

operation failed.

So I thougth I need to set up a putty session before, as written in the guide..
Am I wrong?

Oh yea... I forgot about that. Adrian is still reinstalling the webserver OS. Not everything is back up yet.
You can use one of the source files from the Linux build system. They are same, just not version-controlled: http://build.openmodelica.org/apt/pool/ … rig.tar.gz

Hi,
I've tried accessing this forum for all the afternoon, but it seems not working..Anyway...I need also this subversion in order to build the code:

https://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModeli … allers/VC7

Do I have to wait for webserver OS reinstalling or can I have it in a different way?

Regards

Francesco

Hi,

The correct SVN url for the VC7 is here:
https://openmodelica.ida.liu.se/svn/Ope … indows/VC7
The server back to normal now.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Hi,
Do I need this subversion?

Subversion and Eclipse:
=======================
Checkout OpenModelica sources from:
svn co svn://mir20.ida.liu.se/modelica/OpenModelica/trunk/ OpenModelica

This link seems not working..

bye!

Hi,

No you don't. The only one you need is the one from here:
https://www.openmodelica.org/index.php/ … ource-code
which is:
https://openmodelica.org/svn/OpenModelica/trunk/
and this one:
https://openmodelica.ida.liu.se/svn/Ope … indows/VC7

Where did you get this link from? Is rather old. Let me know so I can update it.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Hi,
Ok thanks...
I've found it in the INSTALL.txt note of OMDev, from this link http://www.ida.liu.se/~adrpo/omc/omdev/mingw/ ...
You said follow only the "Read me file"..but I've had a look at that one too..sorry .. :-/

bye
Francesco

Hi..
I'm here with others questions.
If I want to build OMC using Visual Studio 2010, do I have to do ALL the steps in the README-OMDev-MINGW.txt and in the INSTALL.txt anyway?
I'm sorry but I can't understand If I should leave out some step.

Regards
Francesco

Hi,
I've compiled the project in Eclipse as writtem in the README-OMDev-MINGW.txt file; it seems working properly (every tests succeded). I had to change "${project_loc}" with the exact path of the project in OMDev-MINGW-OpenModelicaBuilder.launch file..

Now I'm trying building project in Visual Studio..It gives a lot of errors but lots of them are linked to 'omc_communication.h'.

This is the error:
Error    125    error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'omc_communication.h': No such file or directory.

I can try to set the correct path to this file but before I would ask  If the error can depend on a previous mistake.

Bye

Francesco

Hi,

the previous file is in OpenModelica/Compiler/runtime/..I've set the path and this problem doesn't appear..Now It can't find omc_communication.cc. It is in the same directory of omc_communication.h so I don't know what I've to do..

Regards,

Francesco.

Hi,
I decided to repeat the whole installation. I've noticed that Eclipse does't give errors in the Problem tab but in th Console tab I can read an error:

* Compiling modelica_java.jar
/bin/sh.exe: javac: command not found
make[2]: *** [modelica_java.jar] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/dev/OpenModelica/c_runtime/java_interface'

modelica_java.jar misses.. Is it a problem to fix or may I skip it?

Please, I need you help!

Regards,
Francesco

Oh, sorry..Maybe it can't find sh.exe and in can't create modelica_java; Is it right?
Well, the file sh.exe is in the correct directory.

regards,

francesco

In Windows by default, javac is not installed on the system $PATH. It's not a problem as the make system will recover and use the jar-file from subversion instead.

Ok, thanks..
And what about the errors in Visual Studio? Have I to fix them or there's something goes wrong?
Bye
Francesco

omc_communication.cc and .h are created in Compiler/runtime/ automatically (or should be).
If it's a problem in OMShell or OMNotebook you may have to copy them manually.

OK...lots of file were in C:\dev\OpenModelica\c_runtime\interactive instead of C:\dev\OpenModelica\c_runtime\ or viceversa....I copied them from a directory to the other
(Could I add both paths in "Additional Include directories"of c_runtime project? It should be better...)
Anyway I have other missing files

'..\..\c_runtime\simulation_result.cpp': No such file or directory    C:\dev\OpenModelica\Compiler\VC7\c1xx    c_runtime
'..\..\c_runtime\solver_euler.cpp': No such file or directory                    C:\dev\OpenModelica\Compiler\VC7\c1xx    c_runtime

and some LINK errors (unresolved external)  for antlr.lib,.. I read how to fix them for older version of OpenModelica and VisualStudio but I don'y know if I can apply those methods..

Regards and thank you very nuch for kind collaboration!

Francesco

Hi,
I'm waiting for your replies but in the meanwhile I'm trying do something.
I've recompiled the antlr library and I've put the new file in C:\OMDev\lib\antlr-win32-msvc\  as written in a Dr. Pope old post..but I've also had to put the new antlr.lib in C:\OMDev\lib\antlr-win32-msvc\md-mdd to fix previous errors.
Now I've got some new errors:

lots of    msvcprt.lib               already defined in                 antlr.lib

lots of    libcpmt.lib               already defined in                 msvcprt.lib

lots of    LIBCMT.lib              already defined in                 MSVCRT.lib

just a     MSVCRT.lib            already defined in                 LIBCMT.lib

I've tried to ignore some of this libraries but it gives other errors of  "unresolved external symbol" for       *.obj file..

I don't know If I've well explained and I hope in your help.

Francesco

P.S.: Suggests about simulation_result.cpp and olver_euler.cpp missing?

P.S.2:  If it is available a working build version with which I can chenge input and simulate run-time, that's the best solution for my troubles ;-)

Hmmm... simulation_result.cpp and solver_euler.cpp don't exist anymore. They have been replaced by solver_main.cpp and simulation_result_{csv,plt,bin}.cpp

Oh yes..these files are present..what should I do? Sould I rename them? and which one of simulation_result_{csv,plt,bin}?

Do you think I've got bad versions of OpenModelica or of   I don't know what?

The project files just are not updated. You might need to update them to match the Makefiles, as that is what is used during development and in OMDev.

Hi,

You DO NOT need to compile any projects from omc.sln rather than: OMShell, OMNotebook and UpdateEnv.
OMC should be compiled by Eclipse and MinGW, and it should be compiled statically, meaning you need
to add an environment variable OMC_BUILD_STATIC = /static to Eclipse project builder.

We only compile Qt clients with Visual Studio, not OMC as otherwise we cannot load dlls compiled with MinGW
into a Visual Studio compiled executable.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Ok...you could tell me that a littke bit before...I've asked if I had to follow all the steps in each README...
Ok, don't worry, no problem..thank you very much anyway..;-)

So, I've compiled OMShell and UpdateEnv but I cant buid OMNotebookQT4 (that's right?)...It gives me lots of "unresolved external symbol"  related to antlrd library..
Perhaps I didn't have to compile it in Visual Studio cmd...
Can you help me?

regards,
Francesco

Sorry about that, i should have told you. I'll update the readme soon enough.

Start the VS command line
go to:
> cd C:\OMDev\lib\antlr-win32-msvc\md-mdd
> nmake -f Makefile.win32 clean
> nmake -f Makefile.win32
Now you should have an antlr.lib there build with /md which should be fine for OMNotebook.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Ok..errors disappear..thanks..but I've copied also the new antlr.lib in C:\OMDev\lib\antlr-win32-msvc\ and in C:\dev\OpenModelica\Compiler\VC7\antlr..
Now I've got this error and 5 Intellisense Error (should I don't consider them?) and this error:

error MSB3073: The command "copy C:\dev\OpenModelica\Compiler\VC7\omc\Release\\OMNotebook.exe C:\dev\OpenModelica\OMNotebook\OMNotebookQT4\\..\..\build\bin\
copy C:\dev\OpenModelica\OMNotebook\OMNotebookQT4\\*.xml C:\dev\OpenModelica\OMNotebook\OMNotebookQT4\\..\..\build\share\omnotebook\
:VCEnd" exited with code 1.    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets

What does it mean?

regards,

Francesco

Oh..I've solved it (or I hope so)..
I've changed the directories in project->Properties->Build Events->Post-Build..I've set my exact path indìstead of $(projectDi) or $(TargetDir)...Is it ok?

bye

Here again..VisualStudio gives no errors but lots of Warnings...OMShell, OMNotebook and OMPlotWindow in folder   /../OpenModelica/build/bin don't work..

OMShell gives this error

Entry Point Not Found
---------------------------
The procedure entry point ?windowsVersion@QSysInfo@@SA?AW4WinVersion@1@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library QtCored4.dll.
---------------------------

OMNotebook and OMPlotWindow give:

The procedure entry point ?windowsVersion@QSysInfo@@SA?AW4WinVersion@1@XZ could not be located in the dynamic link library QtGui4.dll.

Can they depen on warnings or I should copy and paste these .dll from a directory to another  one (which ones?)..
Thank and sorry for (probably) stupid questions

I've tried to copy QtGui4 and QtCore4 in the build folder..I've tried different version found in OpenModelica and OpenModelicaLibraries directories; I just can notice a dfferent entry point nt found...
In addition these are Vusual Studio warning messages:

Warning    2    warning MSB8012: TargetName(OMNotebookQT4) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (OMNotebook). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    992    6    OMNotebookQT4

Warning    1    warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\dev\OpenModelica\Compiler\VC7\omc\Release\OMNotebookQT4.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\dev\OpenModelica\OMNotebook\OMNotebookQT4\Release\OMNotebook.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets    990    6    OMNotebookQT4

And finally..
After the OMNotebookQT4 compiling  some *.xml files should be copied in $(ProjectDir)\..\..\build\share\omnotebook ?
I have two questions about that:
1) Should these files be modified during the compiling? (I've found just the version of checkout date )
2)Is  /../omnotebook a folder? in that folder there is a file called omnotebook (I think it's an helptext file)..OMNotebookQT4 cannot be compiled if I leave omnotebook in the path..

Sorry for long post..but I don't know what I've to do; I need that version my master thesis in Mechanical Eng. and I'm spending a lot of time compiling it..

Regards
Francesco

Hi,

I'm in the process of building the 1.5.0 release myself and I hope I'll be ready with it soon.
I think the problem is that Qt is compiled with Visual Studio 2008 and OMNotebook and OMShell with VS 2010.
I now compiled Qt with VS 2010 and I'll do some testing. I'll let you know how it goes.

As your problem, you should copy all the dlls from Compiler/VC7/Setup/bin to build/bin
Then you also copy OMNotebook and OMShell to that folder. That should work, but unfortunately
the clients crash so I'm now trying to find a solution to that.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Hi,
I  have already tried copying all files from a directory to the other and it doesn´´t work....I cannot try now the other solution..
Anyway, I wait for your news then..
Thank you very much for your work.

Best regards,

Francesco

Hi,

I build a .msi out of the latest revision (5865).
I had to compile Qt and Mico Corba using Visual Studio 2010, but it worked.
I got non-crashing Qt clients (OMShell, OMNotebook and OMPlotWindow are now working).
Here is the .msi:
http://www.ida.liu.se/~pelab/modelica/O … -22_05.msi

Please let me know if is working fine for you.
I have VS2010 installed so it might be the case that on some systems we get missing .dlls.

Sorry for the delay but I'm in holidays and working from time to time.
I will try to push the changes to the projects and the Qt libs compiled with VS2010 but
I'm on a very slow upload internet connection in Romania, so it might take a while.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Ok..I've just installed it and....IT WORKS!!, great! (I have also VS2010 Installed)
Thank you very much! I'm sorry I've bothered your holidays..

Regards,

Francesco

Hi,
I'm back to the initial problem...
I've written a simple model who calls an external c++ function wich acquire the position of the mouse (really I need to take some information from another device but I think this is not a problem ).
It works properly because if I simulate the model in OMShell I can plot the mouse position variation. Now I'd like doing that "real-time" and I'd like to decide when simulation starts and ends..In order to do that I've studied the suggested guides..But I haven't understood if I have to create a GUI and a client-server connection or if I've just to use OMShell for interfacing between "Server" and "client"..
Sorrry again..

Francesco

Hi, I'm back.
I've solved the connection problem.
I created a GUI that can send the strings to the "server"..It receive and execute properly.
I've tried to get its reply but I cannot do it..I'm waiting for reply on 127.0.0.1:10500 (I tried also 10502 and 10501) but the GUI stop working or I receive only strange strings..Should I attend a particular procedure?
In addition, how can I acquire the resut? Is it possible to have a variable value continuously?How?

Thanks
Regards

Francesco

Hi,
Nobody can help me?
I didn't think my English was so bad  :-)

Hi,

I sent an email to the guy who implemented the interactive functionality, maybe he can help you.
I don't know enough about it to be able to help you ( and I'm in holidays and very un-eager to look
into the sources on how is implemented current/smile )

As far as I know there is a C++ client implementation already available inside c_runtime/interactive,
maybe you can do something similar in your gui (or use it directly).

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Hi..
Ok..I've solved also the reply problem..I created a client to send and two server to receive in the GUI...It works now..
Thank you very much anyway..Enjoy your holidays current/cool and don't look at Forum current/wink

Hi Filippo,

I hope the following answers will help you using the interactive capabilities of OM.

1. OMShell only generates the executable file including your model, equations, solvers and so on. This executable file can be used as non-interactive or interactive simulation runtime.
2. The generated file is similar to a server waiting for you requests.
3. Your GUI needs three communication components please see “OpenModelicaUsersGuide.pdf chapter 5.4.1 Network configuration Settings”.
By default your GUI should wait for “control operation replies” on 127.0.0.1:10500 and for “results” on 127.0.0.1:10502.

If you are receiving something but the strings are malformed your TCP/IP implementation to receive messages is not correctly implemented. If it is so and you are using C++ you can take a look at the existing source code of the interactive components from “trunk\\OpenModelica\c_runtime\interactive”
“socket_win.cpp”
“socket_unix.cpp”

For using the example client.cpp you need to copy the following files into VSC++ and to compile them:

Client.cpp
Socket.h
Socket.cpp
Socket_win.cpp
Socket_unix.cpp

regards,
Parham

Thank very much for suggest..but as I said I've finally understood that this afternoon..I'll have a look at those files..they will be surely useful.
Thank you very much.

Francesco

P.S.:My name is Francesco and my surname is De Filippo but it's the same thing...current/wink

Hi I created an GUI interface using QT4 libraries both for widget and for metworking..Now I can communicate with OMI quite properly..
So I begin writing a simple model that acquires two variables from an external device ()   (using an external C function).
I've written an initial simple system of equation but the model doesn't work if I use a derivate of a variable. htis is the model code:

Code:

model car0

parameter Integer val=1;
  parameter Real cpitch=0.2;

Real vx(start=12);     
Real del(start=0);   

Real psi;   
Real phi;   

equation

(del,vx)=ExternalFunc1(val);
  phi=del*vx/10000000;
  der(vx)=psi/cpitch;

initial equation
der(vx)=0;

end car0;

The ExternelFunction1 just passes the acquired values to the two uotput variables del and vx.
Please, help me understanding  what doesn't work or let me know what I've to study for better understand what should I do using der() operator during real time simulation in OpenModelica.
Regards,
Francesco

Hi Francesco,

I have similar problem as your.  I work on project, which communicate with real system. I want regulate this system with OpenModelica. I created to the GUI, and when I start simulating a get only time value.
The example model HelloWorld I used for tests.
I tried send command:
           setfilter#1#HelloWorld.x#end
           or
           setfilter#1#x#end
but I get nothing new only time.
My question is: Can you get values from simulation? Can someone help me with this? My result from simulation is: result#28.4###end, the number is value of time.

Thanks,

xilos

Hy there again,

I solved my problem current/smile So to get values from simulation is needed to define setfilter correctly. I tried for 2 model and its works current/smile
Firstly is needed to define variables and parameters. When I had model with Real x, and parameter p the good form of command was: setfilter#1#x#p#end. When I send command setfilter#1#x#end, the program defined as Type p - parameter. And i get olny value of parameter.

xilos

Hi, sorry for delay.
My problem was to link an external C function but..
I used this string of command

setfilter#flag#var1l:var2:var3#par1:par2#end

If you don't need parameters you can write

setfilter#flag#var1l:var2:var3##end.

This works fine. You should receive a string for results like this:

result#ID#Tn#var1=Val:var2=Val#par1=Val:par2=Val#end

or like this one, if you have no parameter to read:

result#ID#Tn#var1=Val:var2=Val##end

I don't know if this should be useful for you..
Regards,
Francesco

Hy Francesco,

Thank you for your reply, I ll try this solution. But my biggest problem is link my real model with  OpenModelica model. I wanna regulate the system in real time via usb connection, this communication is solved with a python language (I mean USB and PC).

My idea is to create one model for regulation (for example PID regulator) and connect him to other model. The second model will contain variables, which will sets in interactive real time simulation. Outputs from regulator will be filtered by command setfilter...

So the main point is that, I have functions in python to get and set values from usb device, but I need to send him to my OM model. Any idea for solution?

Sorry for my english. I hope you will understand. current/smile

Thanks,
xilos

Hi,
No problem for your English..(mine is not so good too :-) )..where are you from?
I'm trying to do something similar using a socket in an external c function.
But I still have some problem now.
If your can write your code for USB port in C language you could try to read from bus directly in the external function..
I don't know if I've well explained.
Receiving results is not a problem; you just need a server listening to OMI Transfer Client in order to get the string of results.

OK, I understand you, too current/smile I am from Slovakia.

Thanks. Firstly I will try via OMI Transfer Client.

xilos

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic