Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Running OpenModelica on older machine

Running OpenModelica on older machine

Hallo!

I'm new in OpenModelica and want to use it for university.
I installed and tried out OM 1.9.0 on my desktop computer (AMD AthlonX4) on Windows7 and Ubuntu12.04 without any problems.
On my laptop (IBM ThinkPad X30 with Mobile Pentium III-M) I installed OM 1.9.0 on WindowsXP and XUbuntu 11.10 (both 32bit) from installer/apt-package without any errors.

On WindowsXP OMEdit crashes with exception after starting a simulation.
I tried an older version (1.6.0 from zip, with running the UpdateEnv.exe) - without success.

On XUbuntu OMEdit shows error message "Connection to OpenModelica Compiler has been interrupted. OMEdit will close." on startup, after clicking in OMLibrary-window it closes after showing the message again.
Typing for example "omc +s Circle.mo" on the console fails too - the last row of output is "illegal instruction" and no files are created.
I tried to fix the problem by setting the environment variables described in [man omc] - in particular the MODELICAUSERCFLAGS to "-O2 -march=pentium3m -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"- but without any effect (they had been unset and have been deleted after OM-update today: are they unused?).

I think the reason is the instruction set of the cpu - mmx and sse are supported but sse2 and other nice features not.

So my question is: Do I have to build OM from sources with special compiler flags or only set special compiler flags for creation of model.executables.
Is there a configuration tool?
Is the reason another one?

Thanks!

Edited by: svenjens - Sep-08-12 19:27:56

Re: Running OpenModelica on older machine

The Ubuntu 32-bit OpenModelica package is built using sse2 extensions (-march=pentium4) because it used to be required for numerical stability. There are some comments that say this was no longer needed. Presumably because -fstore-float was used in the configure CFLAGS. But the new Makefiles do not use fstore-float, so maybe SSE2 is required anyway. Your mileage may vary (I'll try removing march=pentium4 from the nightly build and we'll see if it starts working...).

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: