Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

How I fell in love with OpenModelica

How I fell in love with OpenModelica

I've an electronics engineer background and used electronic simulation for various reason, but there was always this lingering question in my head how this kind of simulation work. I few years back I spent some time on it, looked it up on the internet somewhat, asked many friends with higher EE degrees than me, Math PhDs about math related things related to it. But everything I got was wild guesses, or ugly explanations or workarounds (s/z-Transformations) for specific problems. During corona I had finally time to invest some more time and stumbled onto the term DAE (which none of my friends ever heard), something which opened absurdly many doors for me. Then after investigating and reading and programming more, implementing my own stupid DAE solver, then finally stumbled upon OpenModelica and was blown away.

- Super simple to use and this simple concepts apply to so many things, for me a golden rule is that things should be a simple as possible, despite being powerful. Rarely I've seen a software being so perfect at this as OpenModelica.
- It never occured to me that the the kirchhof rule (and some other rules) is in fact much more generic and applicable to many other problems (and its so obvious in retrospect).
- It is so enormously amazing that I can immediately look into all blocks and see all the equations, I cannot overstate this, I'm not just a blind user, I learn every time something new.

Every company I worked for had some physical processes and often the software involved in this companies were then just tested on the real devices, in quite a few cases I started to make simple models, which now allows everyone to do unit test on systems involving this processes.

I'm so glad this software exist and I am thankful to everyone involved in it, therefore just a very big

THANK YOU

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: