Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Opening encrypted models and library

Opening encrypted models and library

Hello to the whole OpenModelica community !

As a first timer here (as well as with the Modelica environment in general), I hope that I am posting these questions in the right forum section, if not forgive me so.
In the company I'm currently working for (a solar thermal project developer), we are currently planning to transition partly towards Modelica by developing our own detailed engineering tool within this environment.
Such developments being at a really preliminary state (we have not started to learn Modelica yet), we are still considering our options in terms of tools and libraries to use.
As you can guess, using open-source tools such as OpenModelica is an attractive option for us, especially when we are right at the start of the learning process.
Nonetheless, we have already fast-coming needs that challenge our choice to whether or not start our work with OpenModelica

1. For our current R&D project, we work with a major French research institute that will provide us in the coming months with an encrypted model  of our first  solar plant, that will be developed and encrypted in Dymola. We would first need to open, test, and use it and secondly to integrate it in more global model (we will develop ourselves the control block of the plant). First feedback from the research institute (through the Dymola support) says that it would not be possible to do within OpenModelica.
    Just to confirm or not an information coming from a commercial source, do you have any opinion or experience on the opening of encrypted models in OpenModelica ?

2. Secondly, to evaluate the already existing models and then to identify what needs to be developed to suit our needs, we would like explore the existing libraries, even the commercial ones (at least in a demo mode at first). Once again, information coming from commercial sources, distributing commercial libraries, agree on the fact that encrypted libraries cannot be opened in a Modelica open-source environment.
    Do you agree with this statement (impossible to open commercial libraries in OpenModelica) ?

Any help or information on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Indeed, we just want to be sure that we are not falling to commercial speech and that the required investments are thoroughly justified (Dymola licenses are no small feats for a new company!).

Many thanks and have a great day!
Regards,
Alexis

Edited by: Alexis - newHeat - Feb-05-19 15:31:31

Re: Opening encrypted models and library

Hi,

The answer to this is a bit complicated.
By default we cannot open any encrypted commercial libraries.

However, we do have a version of OpenModelica with encryption (for OSMC members) and library or model developers can use it to encrypt their models or libraries.
So, if library providers want to distribute a version of their encrypted libraries that can be used with OpenModelica, that is possible, but is not something we can push for.

Cheers,
Adrian Pop/

Hello adrpo,,

Thank you very much for your quick and frankly helpful reply. I just would like to ask some additional questions just to make sure I understood it well.

• From my company side, would we first need to get a level 1 OSMC membership before downloading a special version of OpenModelica that supports encyption ? Is that correct ?

• If we download such a version, would we be able to open encrypted Modelica models or libraries (especially if those said models or libraries had been first encrypted in Dymola for example)?

• From our partner research center side, which will use Dymola for the development. What would they need to do to supply us with an encrypted model compatible with the OpenModelica OSMC version ? Is there a special encryption format to select in Dymola or is there something else to do ?

• Can we ask directly to the commercial libraries suppliers to propose their products with the OpenModelica-OSMC format ?

• In advance, adrpo,, many thanks for any help on the matter. It helps a lot to see more clearly to see which are our options on the matter.

Regards,
    Alexis

adrpo wrote:

Hi,

The answer to this is a bit complicated.
    By default we cannot open any encrypted commercial libraries.

However, we do have a version of OpenModelica with encryption (for OSMC members) and library or model developers can use it to encrypt their models or libraries.
    So, if library providers want to distribute a version of their encrypted libraries that can be used with OpenModelica, that is possible, but is not something we can push for.

Cheers,
    Adrian Pop/

Both the library developer and you need access to the OpenModelica encryption/decryption tool. It should not matter if the library was developed in Dymola, but you will not be able to access encrypted libraries targeting Dymola's private encryption keys and the library develop will not be able to enforce license restrictions (anyone with the encrypted library can use it; but with access annotations won't be able to see everything).

https://www.openmodelica.org/doc/OpenMo … ption.html

As for the membership level, if the library developer is a level 2 member, they could distribute the encryption/decryption tool to you as far as I know. If both of the companies have a level 1 membership, you can both have access to the encryption/decryption tool.

Note that the encryption/decryption support is still quite recent work and being tested by some OSMC members and library developers. It might be that decryption support becomes free in the future when license restrictions are supported. But I don't know our plans.

Hi,

I have a question about decript :

In the user's guide, it is written :

"This means that anyone who has an OpenModelica version with encryption support can encrypt or decrypt files."

Does it means that the libraryKey code is useless ? For example if a module is encrypted using a code, it can however be decripted by another, even if the libraryKey code is unknown ?

Thanks by advance for your answer.

Yvan

Hello,

Well by decryption it doesn't mean that you can access the actual source code. However, you will be able to simulate the models.

Adeel.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
    You are here: