Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Phase change of water and dynamic pipes

Phase change of water and dynamic pipes

I am trying to model a steam desuperheater and  measure the temperature and phase when water is sprayed into super-heated steam. The model with StaticPipes runs and gives me mixture temperature that corresponds with the saturation temperature of Water at that pressure. However, when I switch to DynamicPipes the model does not converge. I think the mixture is partially saturated and thus has trouble calculating enthalpy. How do I get around the problem of non-convergence with the dynamic pipes. Is there a way of determining the quality of steam and the phase of the medium as an output. I have attached both the models.

Thanks in advance.

SteamHammer-DynPipe.mo

SteamHammer.mo

Sri

Re: Phase change of water and dynamic pipes

Hi sgopal1,

I don't think the problems are related to phase change (to begin with). However, I notice a couple of other things:

1) In both models you haven't assigned a usable medium model for "tJunctionIdeal1"
2) In the dynamic model you attempt to initialize "m_flows" for all the pipe models. You should remove this since "m_flows" is a vector to which you attempt to assign a scalar value.
3) You initialize all your components with no pressure drops (all pressures are 42 bar). You should change this.
4) The T-Junction components connect the pipes which all end with "volume model" (modelStructure = av_vb). This means that you constrain all the pressure states in the pipes to be equal. I my opinion, you should use the dynamic junction model instead and make sure that the pipes connected to that junction end with a "flow model". For example, the model structure of "Pipe" should be "a_v_b" and "pipe1" should be "av_b".
5) You could reduce the discretization of the pipe models until the simulation works well.
6) You should consider starting with simpler pressure drop models in the pipes. For example "NominalLaminarFlow" or "NominalTurbulentPipeFlow". The parameters needed for the models are nominal mass flow rates and pressure drops.
7) Since Dymola (in my case) chooses p and h as states, you should consider using initial enthalpies instead of temperatures.

Best regards,
Rene Just Nielsen

Re: Phase change of water and dynamic pipes

Rene,
I made some changes based on your suggestion. The model run now but is very slow. I am not sure if any other changes can be made to speed up the analysis. Also, can we get phase as an output instead of 1 phase, 2 phase or unknown.

Gopal
1510316965_SteamHammer-DynPipe.mo

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: