Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Dymola: Variable missing in VariableBrowser after Translation

Dymola: Variable missing in VariableBrowser after Translation

Hello Forum,

I use Dymola Version 2016 FD01 64bit and I wrote a script for translating Dymola-Models, so the users can change the parameters before simulation. This works fine for 3 of 4 Models.

In one Model I use the Modelica LossyGear-Block and the parameter "ratio" does not show up in the VariableBrowser after the Translation. Strange because I use the same Block in the other Models too and there is no problem. I copied the Block from the good Model to the bad Model and there is no change. The Variable still does not show up in the VariableBrowser.

When I try to overwrite the non-existent variable, the following warning appears:

Warning: Setting gBFront.gear.ratio has no effect in model.
After translation you can only set literal start-values and non-evaluated parameters.

I hope you can help.

Best Regards and Thanks in advance.

Re: Dymola: Variable missing in VariableBrowser after Translation

"After translation you can only set literal start-values and non-evaluated parameters. " implies this parameter was evaluated by the tool (perhaps it is the dimension of an array or needed for a condition in an if-equation). You cannot change all parameters in a Modelica model after translation (a design limitation that there is no concept of structural parameters or requiring constants to define array sizes).

But in the same way I use the Block in another Model without any problems.

Can you please explain to me, what you mean by:

sjoelund.se wrote:

... (a design limitation that there is no concept of structural parameters or requiring constants to define array sizes).

Is there any workaround to solve this? I already searched for a solution an found out, that i can write
parameter Real gearRatio=10 annotation(Evaluate=false);
So the parameter should not be evaluated, but still it does not show up in the VariableBrowser.

The Modelica tool decides which parameters it needs to evaluate. The only thing you can do if you want to be able to change a parameter value is to make sure this value is not propagated to any array dimension, etc Evaluate=false is a hint that the compiler should not evaluate the parameter if possible. But if it is used in array dimensions, it will be evaluated anyway.

sjoelund.se wrote:

The Modelica tool decides which parameters it needs to evaluate. The only thing you can do if you want to be able to change a parameter value is to make sure this value is not propagated to any array dimension, etc Evaluate=false is a hint that the compiler should not evaluate the parameter if possible. But if it is used in array dimensions, it will be evaluated anyway.

Thanks for the information. I will check, if somewhere is a propagation to an array dimension.

I found out, that the parameter is missing, because there was an Inertia-Block upwards the Lossy-Gear-Block. My workaround is to add a Clutch-Block between the Inertia and the LossyGear. By this, the parameter LossyGear.ratio appears in the VariableBrowser and I can overwrite it.

This is not a elegant way to solve this issue. Maybe anyone has another solution. I am also trying to understand, why this happens. I found out, that in the "dsin.txt"-File there are 3 more variables for the LossyGear. These are the initial-conditions phi, w, der(w).

I unchecked the 'fixed=true'-checkbox inside the Inertia-Block. Now it works, also without the Clutch.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: