Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

IF statement errors - help needed

IF statement errors - help needed

Hi,

I am having a problem using an if-statement in a model I am developing  to simulate bacteria growth in microfluidic systems. 

While I have used if-else statements in Modelica before (actually in other sub-models for this system), I am encountering simulation failures for a current model that I am attempting to develop. 

The model code is as follows:

model GrowthVelocity
  BiofilmNode i,o,p;
  parameter Real dz = 1;
  parameter Real biofilm_density = 1;
  Real Number;
  Real biomass_production;
  Real inactivebiomass_prod;
equation
  if Number > 1 then
    i.uz = (( (2*dz) * (biomass_production + inactivebiomass_prod)) / biofilm_density) + p.uz;
  else
    o.uz = 0;
    i.uz = (( (2*dz) * (biomass_production + inactivebiomass_prod)) / biofilm_density) + p.uz;
  end if ;

end GrowthVelocity;

When I attempt to run the simulation, I get the following error:

Error: The language feature if-equations is not supported. Suggested workaround: rewrite equations using if-expressions: equation
  if thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].Number > 1.0 then
  thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].i.uz = 2.0 * (thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].dz * (thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].biomass_production + thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].inactivebiomass_prod) / thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].biofilm_density) + thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].p.uz;
  else
  thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].o.uz = 0.0;
  thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].i.uz = 2.0 * (thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].dz * (thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].biomass_production + thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].inactivebiomass_prod) / thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].biofilm_density) + thebiofilm.velocity_char[1].p.uz;
  end if;

I am confused because it is essentially telling me that I am using the wrong if-statement syntax, and then suggests the exact same syntax as a way to fix the error.  Again, I have used this exact same construct before in a similar model such as the following with no problems:

model ActiveBiomass "a characteristic :: similar to biomass model"
  BiofilmNode i,o,p;
  parameter Real dz = 1;
  parameter Real Voxygen = 1;
  parameter Real Yboxygen = 1;
  parameter Real Beta = 1;
  parameter Real Koxygen = 1;
  parameter Real B = 1;
  Real Number;   
  Real biomass_production;
equation
  biomass_production = B*o.rho_biomass*(o.rho_oxygen / (Koxygen+o.rho_oxygen));
  if Number > 1 then
    der(o.rho_biomass) = biomass_production - (o.uz * ((i.rho_biomass - p.rho_biomass) / (2*dz))) - (o.rho_biomass * ((i.uz - p.uz) / (2*dz)));   
  else
    o.rho_biomass = 0;
  end if;

end ActiveBiomass;

I do not see why one model would work with this syntax and another would not, even though they are identical in structure.  Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or have any insight as to why this would not be working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Re: IF statement errors - help needed

No, it's suggesting using if-expressions instead of if-statements (and then showing the old if-statement). It failed when trying to rewrite the statement to if-expressions; our backend cannot actually handle statements.

Anyway, I believe the problem is that you have a mismatch in the number of equations in the if-equations. This is only allowed if the condition expression is parameter (?) or constant because then the statement can be optimized to be only one branch.

Thanks for the response @sjoelund !

Technically, what is the difference between an if-statement and an if-equation? And if the issue is that there is 1 equation in the first if statement and 2 equations in the else statement, how would you suggest working around this problem? 

Again, thanks for the help!

Well, since Modelica is balanced you must not change the number of equations in a system, or it cannot be simulated.
The main difference between if-statement and if-expression is that you can use things like assertions in statements.

In OpenModelica, a statement like

Code:

if cond then

a = b;
else
  d = e;
end if;

is converted into

Code:

0 = if cond then a-b else d-e;

If you really need to have a different number of equations, make the condition a parameter. That way you specify that the number of equations cannot change during the simulation.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: