Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Random number generator help

Random number generator help

Hi,
I need a random number generator in OM, I found one online, the code is:

Code:

function random "Pseudo random number generator"
  input Integer seedIn[3] "Seed from last call";
  output Real x "Random number between 0 and 1";
  output Integer seedOut[3] "Modified seed for next call";
algorithm
  seedOut[1] := rem((171*seedIn[1]), 30269);
  seedOut[2] := rem((172*seedIn[2]), 30307);
  seedOut[3] := rem((170*seedIn[3]), 30323);
  // Zero is a poor seed, therefore substitute 1;
  for i in 1:3 loop
    if seedOut[i] == 0 then
       seedOut[i] := 1;
    end if;
  end for;
  x := rem((seedOut[1]/30269.0 + seedOut[2]/30307.0 + seedOut[3]/30323.0), 1.0);
end random;

Then when I try to call the random function by using another function:

Code:

function testRandom1
  input Integer seed[3];
  output Real x;
algorithm
  for i in 1:10 loop
   (x, seed) := random(seed);
   Modelica.Utilities.Streams.print("x = " + String(x,significantDigits=16) + "\n");
  end for;
end testRandom1;

When I call testRandom1 function with parameters, like this:
testRandom1({23,35,75})
There is no output to the screen. But if I remove that "Modelica.Utilities.Streams.print" statement, I get one return value, but there is no loop then.
Please help. Thanks.

Re: Random number generator help

Works for me.

Code:

$ cat a.mos ; omc a.mos

loadFile("a.mo");
loadModel(Modelica);
testRandom1({23,35,75});getErrorString();
/home/marsj/dev/trunk/build//bin/omc 1.6.0
true
true
x = 0.7490418042138446
x = 0.8643095911627987
x = 0.4815900479477273
x = 0.07248000599078153
x = 0.6682546425212224
x = 0.2268866442874202
x = 0.6882514204208467
x = 0.06556030683102243
x = 0.1382381189319646
x = 0.4670802318116736
""

How are you trying to use the function? And from what client? If you are using OMShell/OMEdit, do note that it will only display stdout from functions that are called during simulation.
Since you called the function using constant input, it would be evaluated before the simulation starts (because in Modelica a function may not have side-effects like printing to standard output current/smile). You could try using a non-constant input or annotation(__OpenModelica_Impure = true) to defer evaluation of the function to runtime.

sjoelund.se wrote:

If you are using OMShell/OMEdit, do note that it will only display stdout from functions that are called during simulation.

Is there a way I can output all results in the loop to screen?

Start OMC in a terminal and let OMShell/OMEdit resume the session; then view the output in that terminal. OMEdit launches omc with Qt calls, which disable stdout.

There is a section under Kalman filter in DrControl that I'm using the above random generator and input the time varaible as an argument so that omc doesnot consider the function a constant

Best Regards
Mohsen

Also, there is an undocumented vendor-specific annotation:

Code:

annotation(__OpenModelica_Impure = true)

that you can add to a function to force OMC to not consider a function call constant current/smile

Hi! I am working on developing a client-server model between OpenModelica (OM) and external hardware. For this, I have written a sample OM file, as given below:

Code:

model test
input Real x;
Real y;

equation
y = sqrt(x);
end test;

Now, I wish to modify the code such that x generates a random value at each instant. Accordingly, I will read those values from the client end and change the values of x that will ultimately affect the value of y. Could you please provide some insights on this?

Edited by: SudhakarK - Oct-09-20 17:35:14

SudhakarK wrote:

Now, I wish to modify the code such that x generates a random value at each instant. Accordingly, I will read those values from the client end and change the values of x that will ultimately affect the value of y. Could you please provide some insights on this?

That's not possible. Impure functions may only be called at event instants. So you need to use when sample(...) or something similar.

sjoelund.se wrote:

That's not possible. Impure functions may only be called at event instants. So you need to use when sample(...) or something similar.

Thanks for your response. Could you please elaborate on how to use when sample(...) for my task?

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: