Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Building models using Java

Building models using Java

Hello everyone,

I am currently co-developing a program which aims at reading high school physics problems from an exam and solve them. We are using Modelica to solve the problems once they have been parsed.

I am currently working on rethinking the project, currently written in perl, to use Java. OpenModelica apparently proposes a Java interface but from what I could read here and there, it is mostly about parsing Modelica models to Java classes, my aim would be to build a Modelica model from the Java classes and then use OMC to solve the problem described by the model I just built.

The whole chain would be : from natural language to a DSL of ours, from this DSL to a Java representation of the problem using Modelica classes, then get the results of the simulation.

At the moment we are parsing our DSL to Modelica text which is then passed on to OMC, the aim here would be to skip the transformation to Modelica text and use the Java interface to have a form that can be natively understood and modeled by both ends.

Would such a thing be possible ? I suppose it would but the java classes contained in the jar are almost undocumented...

Thank you in advance,

Yann

Edited by: Tetro - May-01-14 10:59:24

Re: Building models using Java

Sorry for the double post, I meant to edit but hit quote...

The working parts of the Java interface is pretty much the CORBA communication. Which is text-based. There probably exists a way to communicate using CORBA from Perl. You would just lose the parsing of the omc output into nicer data types.
Regardless, you would need to transform your DSL into Modelica textual code somewhere.

I think it is also still possible to use the Java interface to parse Modelica text into an AST in Java. But there is no way to go back, and it seems much too complicated. Even if the interface could unparse the Java classes back to Modelica text, I believe it would be simpler to just transform the DSL into Modelica text.

The only thing that might be tricky is pretty-printing the generated Modelica code. But if it is just generated code, do you need to look at it and need it to be perfectly formatted? If you do need that, it is always possible to do:
loadFile("uglyCode.mo");
writeFile("prettyCode.mo",list());

The Modelica code is really a transitional step, it doesn't need to be pretty at all. However I had hoped to maintain a really high development level and never having to write code generation algorithms (If possible, avoiding to learn the Modelica language altogether current/big_smile ). My own research primarily revolves around modeling so I'd like to avoid having another layer of translating/parsing.

Doesn't Modelica internally use ASTs when parsing .mo files ? Would it really be this complicated to translate Java data types to the ones used in Modelica ?

Yann

It would be complicated, slow, and cost too much maintenance on our side to transfer ASTs. If you take something simple like:

Code:

model M

Real r = 11.2;
end M;

The AST for that is:

Code:

Absyn.Program.PROGRAM(classes = {Absyn.Class.CLASS(name = M, partialPrefix = 0, finalPrefix = 0, encapsulatedPrefix = 0, restriction = Absyn.Restriction.R_MODEL(), body = Absyn.ClassDef.PARTS(typeVars = {NIL}, classAttrs = {NIL}, classParts = {Absyn.ClassPart.PUBLIC(contents = {Absyn.ElementItem.ELEMENTITEM(element = Absyn.Element.ELEMENT(finalPrefix = 0, redeclareKeywords = NONE(), innerOuter = Absyn.InnerOuter.NOT_INNER_OUTER(), specification = Absyn.ElementSpec.COMPONENTS(attributes = Absyn.ElementAttributes.ATTR(flowPrefix = 0, streamPrefix = 0, parallelism = Absyn.Parallelism.NON_PARALLEL(), variability = Absyn.Variability.VAR(), direction = Absyn.Direction.BIDIR(), arrayDim = {NIL}), typeSpec = Absyn.TypeSpec.TPATH(path = Absyn.Path.IDENT(name = Real), arrayDim = NONE()), components = {Absyn.ComponentItem.COMPONENTITEM(component = Absyn.Component.COMPONENT(name = r, arrayDim = {NIL}, modification = SOME(Absyn.Modification.CLASSMOD(elementArgLst = {NIL}, eqMod = Absyn.EqMod.EQMOD(exp = Absyn.Exp.REAL(value = 11.2), info = Absyn.Info.INFO(fileName = /home/martin/tmp/prettyCode.mo, isReadOnly = 0, lineNumberStart = 2, columnNumberStart = 10, lineNumberEnd = 2, columnNumberEnd = 16, buildTimes = Absyn.TimeStamp.TIMESTAMP(lastBuildTime = 0, lastEditTime = 1.398932e+09)))))), condition = NONE(), comment = NONE())}), info = Absyn.Info.INFO(fileName = /home/martin/tmp/prettyCode.mo, isReadOnly = 0, lineNumberStart = 2, columnNumberStart = 3, lineNumberEnd = 2, columnNumberEnd = 16, buildTimes = Absyn.TimeStamp.TIMESTAMP(lastBuildTime = 0, lastEditTime = 1.398932e+09)), constrainClass = NONE()))})}, ann = {NIL}, comment = NONE()), info = Absyn.Info.INFO(fileName = /home/martin/tmp/prettyCode.mo, isReadOnly = 0, lineNumberStart = 1, columnNumberStart = 1, lineNumberEnd = 3, columnNumberEnd = 6, buildTimes = Absyn.TimeStamp.TIMESTAMP(lastBuildTime = 0, lastEditTime = 1.398932e+09)))}, within_ = Absyn.Within.TOP(), globalBuildTimes = Absyn.TimeStamp.TIMESTAMP(lastBuildTime = 0, lastEditTime = 1.398932e+09))

In addition, the AST used by OpenModelica changes while Modelica concrete syntax stays the same. Guess which one is easier to translate a DSL into? If you translate into Modelica code you also have the benefit of only having to learn Modelica. With OpenModelica abstract syntax you also need to learn some things about the compiler infrastructure (the AST is not only Modelica; it includes MetaModelica, ParModelica, parts of Optimica, and experimental/future versions of Modelica).

I see, thank you for your answers.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic