Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Total beginner's questions

Total beginner's questions

Can anyone help ?  Someone suggested that I use Modelica for modelling a complex dynamic mechanical system : I have experience of another graphics-based dynamic modelling tool, but I no longer have access to that and need an open-source tool.  I've opened the Open Modelica Connection Editor, it appears to be able to give me the functionality I'm looking for, so I'm trying to work through the Tutorial's first example (the simple pendulum).  I've found and pasted the icons onto the work space, but I can find no way of connecting them together ... I've clicked on the 'Connect/Unconnect Mode' button, but it seems to have no effect.  I can draw lines, but they don't connet to the components.  How do I connect the model elements together ?  I've been defeated at this very basic first step.

More generally, I need a tool that is GUI-based only, I am not prepared (or probably able) to learn the code that almost all the documentation seems to be full of.  Is this the right tool for me ?

Re: Total beginner's questions

Hi,
  Welcome to Openmodelica. Openmodelica is very good software and very userfriendly.
  And it comes with lots of examples. First you should try to reproduce example models. Check the kinds of components they're using in the examples, and then try to reproduce the same. That should get you started.

Having said that, check out this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ke7KNipPds

Also, remember that you cannot connect a resistor to a gear directly. The point is, you can not randomly connect to elements.

All the best.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: