Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Open Source System Dynamics standard model:program interface

Open Source System Dynamics standard model:program interface

https://www.oasis-open.org/news/announc … mile-v1-0-

Hi Folks,

A month-long comment acceptance window on the in-development XMILE protocol for open source system dynamics model:software interface opened recently.
XMILE is 'an open XML protocol... for the sharing, interoperability, and reuse of System Dynamics models and simulations. '

Perhaps it would be fitting if open modelica accepted XMILE models, and maybe OM folks would want to shape XMILE together with the rest of the crew.

I aspire to be a open modelica user, have little system dynamics experience and haven't programmed anything in decades, and that was simple stuff.

Brian

Re: Open Source System Dynamics standard model:program interface

It is  pity that XMILE people have decided to create another standard, when Modelica is already there and has already shown to be able to describe and simulate SystemDynamics models perfectly. Modelica is also textual, an XML new standard to describe models has not significant advantages over Modelica itself.

For instance  a SystemDynamics library comes with OM and smoothly reproduces the Limits-to-growth models.

It XMILE designers were modelica-aware, maybe they would have, at most, just created a small document depicting a subset of Modelica and some Modelica specification for System Dynamics.
Instead of creating another standard to add-up to the existing ones.

If it is an XML-file and the functionality can be reproduced by Modelica, I would suggest using an XSL transform from XMILE to Modelica. It would then work in any Modelica tool.

Looking at the doc it seems like the functionality required can well be reproduced by Modelica.
A XMILE - to - Modelica translator is sure a possibility,and maybe it is the only thing today can be do to gain access to XMILE-coded models.
However translators have their limits: time required to create them, possibility of errors, need to updates when the source standard is updated, etc.

I hope that in the future, as far as Modelica becomes more known, these kinds or scope-limited simulators will reduce in  number. Having used SystemDynamics By Cellier in OM, I understand that SystemDynamics is a discipline that requires simpler maths than others, and therefore is well simulated using Modelica, or even a subset of Modelica.

If just a "rule for common usage of Modelica in SystemDynamics" or a subset of Modelica were defined, the effort to create such SystemDynamics standards would have been much smaller.
Naturally, I don't want to dismiss other people's valuable work. I just wanted to share a thought that is based on my personal experience.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: